Parent-child dates are a wonderful way to build connection and to create lovely memories! I always enjoy my mom-son dates and they really make my child happy, so I wanted my husband to try some dates too. He liked the idea but he didn’t have a lot of inspiration for choosing what to do at a date. This is why I decided to create a list of dad-child date ideas to inspire him! To make them even more ready to be put into practice, I’ve created 10 date cards for him! The date cards are a nice way for him to have a lot of ideas at hand. They are also a nice reminder to plan dad-child dates as often as possible.
First of all, because they are a great opportunity for them to have fun and build a stronger relationship. But also because this means some free time for mom and this is certainly something that sounds wonderful, isn’t it?
If you want to encourage your husband to plan dates with the kids, I hope that you’ll enjoy these ideas! At the end of the article, you will also be able to download the date cards. They can be a great DYI gift for your husband and your kids!
Here is our list of ideas. They are also easy to put into practice and you’ll certainly find here things that your husband and kids would enjoy! Dates are not just for father and daughter, I can assure you that dad-son dates are also amazing! 🙂
1. Plan a breakfast date! Invite your child to a nice place and eat a tasty breakfast together.
2. Go to a movie together.
3. Go to a sporting event together.
4. Go to an ice-cream shop and enjoy a delicious ice-cream together.
5. Ride bikes at the park or on trails. (you can also rent bikes if you don’t have your own bikes)
6. Go out for a picnic in the park. Pack some tasty food but also some board games and a ball to play with after the meal. (if the weather is cold, you can have the picnic at home, on the floor of your living room)
7. Go on a visit to the zoo or the aquarium.
8. Go on a visit to a local children museum. There are also a lot of hands-on activities that you can try at science and art museums.
9. Go on a scavenger hunt. (you can download HERE a printable file for a nature scavenger hunt)
10. Go for a drive to a different town that is nearby.
11. Build and fly a kite together.
12. Go on a hiking day trip. There are a lot of activities to try, from walking through the forest to going on a mountain trail. Documenting your trip with a lot of photos will make it even more fun!
13. Go play bowling or mini-golf together.
14. Kid’s choice date: let your child decide what you’ll do on the date.
15. Go to a farm and spend some time in nature and playing with the animals.
16. Do a photo scavenger hunt! Invite the kids to a walk through a nice place and come up with a list of things to capture. The kids will be happy to discover them and take pictures! (even the little ones that are not really good at taking pictures 🙂 )
17. Go to the library and read some books together.
18. Build a blanket fort and spend some time in the fort reading books or playing games.
19. Go out for dinner at a nice restaurant. You can make this activity more fun if you dress with something special for the occasion.
The date cards are great because they provide ideas for every time dad wants to plan a special date. You can print the file and display it in your home for some inspiration. Or, even better, you can cut each idea into a strip and place it in a jar. This way, when it’s time for a new dad-child date, he just needs to pull an idea out and enjoy the date! 🙂
To download the printable you just need to enter your email address below. This will also give you access to the Playful Notes community and our weekly newsletter. You will find there a lot of other ideas and our full printable collection.
photo credit: Canva.com