This post may contain affiliate links. Read my whole disclosure here.
The Christmas countdown box is an easy and nice way to store your Advent calendar ideas and plan a happy family moment for every day before Christmas.
December is my favorite month of the year! I love to see the festive atmosphere all around the city, the happy kids enjoying the Christmas magic, the little gifts and cards that everyone prepares for the loved ones.
I like the taste of hot cocoa in the warm days of winter, the smell of baked cookies coming out of the houses, the sound of the carols near the Christmas tree.
But as much as I enjoy all of these, there is something that I don’t like about the holiday season: the overwhelm that comes from that “need” to do a lot of things, to buy more stuff, to prepare fancy decorations and big tasty meals.
♥ Christmas is not about counting down the days until Christmas Eve. It’s about enjoying each and every one of them.
♥ Christmas is not about how many cards we write. It’s about the love we put in each of them.
♥ Christmas is not about expensive toys we give to our kids. It’s about the holiday moments that we spend with them.
♥ Christmas is not about all we have in our house during the holidays. It’s about all the moments that remain in our heart afterward.
This is why I decided to create the “Meaningful Christmas Time” series.
I want to share with you easy ideas that allow us to ditch all that holiday overwhelm and to just slow down and enjoy this wonderful time of the year.
If you want to make this Christmas more meaningful for you and your kids and you want to create little precious memories with your family, I hope that you’ll enjoy these ideas!
One of our favorite things to do at the beginning of December is to create a countdown calendar with one nice idea to try in every day before Christmas.
It’s a lovely way to use holiday time to connect and create wonderful family moments!
This is the third year when I will prepare a nice list of activities for us to do together and I am looking forward to enjoying every one of them!
There are many ways to create awesome countdown calendars for kids but I’m not a very crafty person so I just wanted to try something easy to do. And I’ve discovered an idea that I love: the Christmas countdown box!
photo credit: YanLev / shutterstock.com
You can prepare it in a few minutes and it will offer you (and your kids) 24 lovely moments to enjoy together before Christmas.
Here is what you’ll need for preparing the Christmas Countdown Box:
– a small box (either a Christmas-themed box that you can buy from any big supermarket or a normal box that you can decorate with your kids)
– 24 small colored envelopes (I bought them from Amazon but you can find them in many office supplies stores)
– colored number stickers (you can manually write the number if you want but these stickers look really nice on the envelopes)
– 24 activity cards (you can download them at the end of the article)
How to create the Christmas Countdown Box:
This is very simple! The box will be ready in a few minutes and your kids will certainly enjoy it!
1. If you have a normal box you can decorate it with your kids to give it a more festive look.
If you already bought a Christmas-themed box, you can skip this step.
2. Print the activity cards at the end of the article and cut each of them.
(Optional: For durability, you can print them on cardstock or laminate them. We chose to laminate them because we have a laminator at hand and it was easy to do this.)
3. Use the stickers to put a number from 1 to 24 on each of the envelopes.
4. Place the activity cards in the envelopes.
When you place each activity in the envelope take a look at the calendar and make sure that you chose a day when you’ll have time to do that activity. For example, we scheduled the more elaborated activities during the weekend when we have more time to put them into practice.
5. Place all the envelopes (in the right order from 1 to 24) in the box.
And the most beautiful part: Offer the box to your kids and let them know that you have planned one nice activity to do together in every day before Christmas.
I am sure that they will be very happy and will be glad to check the box every single day to see what activity is next.
Choosing the activities that will make you happy
There are a lot of Christmas activity ideas that you can find all over the internet. And some of them are really awesome!
In the last two years, we opted for a “classical” activity list that included activities like decorating the tree, making Christmas crafts, baking cookies and so on.
We liked them because they brought nice moments that we spent together. But this year I wanted something different. And most of all, I wanted to make sure that every activity will really bring us joy.
My son doesn’t like doing crafts. I don’t like to bake cookies. And my husband certainly doesn’t like to create homemade ornaments. So we decided to simply give up doing these activities!
Instead, we came up with another idea:
We created a holiday bucket list of 24 things that we really want to do before Christmas. We will still do traditional things that we love (like driving around town to see the lights) but we will skip all the activities that aren’t truly “compatible” with what we like.
So maybe we will not have any Christmas crafts in our house this year but we will do 24 things that we hope to bring us a lot of joy!
This is why at the end of this article you will find two different sets of activity cards:
– one set includes classical ideas that we used in the last 2 years (I’m sure that you’ll find some good inspiration on the list. And the good thing is that everything is ready, you just need to print the cards.)
– one set includes only a template for your own bucket list and activity cards (This means a little more work for you but also a lot more freedom to choose exactly the things that you want to do together before Christmas. We did a little family meeting and we came up together with all the ideas that we added to our bucket list.)
Download the printable Activity Cards
As I explained before, there are two sets to choose from.
>>> Do you want more inspiration? Join the Meaningful Holiday Time series!
If you want to make this holiday season more meaningful and truly enjoy it with your family, I invite you to join the Meaningful Holiday Time series.
Over the course of 7 days, I will share with you some nice ideas that will allow you to use the holiday time to connect with your kids and prepare wonderful gifts for the loved ones.
The emails will include:
– printable games to enjoy with your kids (They are suitable for toddlers and preschoolers and you’ll only need a printer to prepare them.)
– wonderful gift ideas for young kids
– ideas for creating meaningful gifts for your kids and your husband.
You can find all the details about the Meaningful Holiday Time series HERE.
If you like the idea, you can join the series using the below form. I’ve prepared a lot of awesome ideas to share with you and I hope that you’ll enjoy them as much as we do!
photo credit preview photo: Evgeny Atamanenko / shutterstock.com