This post may contain affiliate links. Read my whole disclosure here.
December is a great time for family activities, especially around Christmas when children are eager to prepare for the encounter with Santa Claus.
We always plan a lot of activities during this month and we have a lot of fun before Christmas. There are some simple and nice activities that everyone can do at home and that are very fun for the little ones, so I gathered here 10 ideas hoping to inspire you to try them in the holiday season.
1. Reserve a special evening for decorating the Christmas tree. Let the children choose the decorations and then enjoy some quality time near the lighted tree.
2. Prepare some “home made” Christmas cards for the loved ones. You can either print some family photos and let the children personalize them with stickers, drawings or messages (depending on their age) or just make some cards from colored paper and let the children decorate them. The family members will certainly be happy to receive these cards. 🙂
3. Prepare special drinks for the whole family – hot chocolate for children and hot apple cider or hot wine with cinnamon for the grown-ups – and enjoy them together.
4. Plan a family movie night and watch a Christmas movie.
5. Have a daytime dance party with carols and Christmas songs.
6. Encourage the kids to prepare a “Christmas exhibition” in your home where they could display handmade Christmas decorations, drawings and other things that they want to include in this special exhibition. After everything is ready you can invite some relatives or friends to admire the exhibition. The kids will be very proud of them for sure! 🙂
7. Get the kids involved in a charity act. There are many options: you could donate some toys, bring some gifts to a shelter or donate clothes to the homeless people. Christmas is about giving and it’s a wonderful opportunity to teach children about generosity.
8. Plan a special cooking time in one of the weekends before Christmas and prepare some holiday-themed cookies. There are a lot of simple recipes that can be easily made by the little ones and this brings a lot of fun.
9. Have a fun drive through the town just to watch the Christmas lights. You could wear pajamas and listen to a CD with carols during the drive to make it even more fun.
10. Plan a family story night and read some nice Christmas stories. You could also include a book about Christmas traditions around the world, it’s always fascinating for the kids to find out different ways of celebrating and maybe to try some of them on their own.
These are our 10 activity ideas that we plan to put into practice this year.
If you will try them, I hope you will have a lot of fun with your whole family and you will enjoy the most of this holiday season. If you have other activity ideas for December I would be glad to find them out, so please feel free to share them here. 🙂
Have a joyful December!