This post may contain affiliate links. Read my whole disclosure here.
Limited time: The 5-step strategy to setting effective limits with your child
Download the strategy that will help you set limits with calm and empathy, and encourage kids to follow your guidance without threats or punishments!
Click here to download the free guide!
The Bay Area is an amazing place with a lot of wonderful things to discover! Whatever you live here or you are just visiting, the Bay Area has a lot to offer. If you are looking for interesting activities to do in the Bay Area with kids, I’m sure that you’ll find inspiration in this series of articles. We explore the whole region doing trips with our curious little boy, so we discover a lot of wonderful places! And we plan to share them all with you on the blog! The first article is dedicated to Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose.
The museum has been honored with multiple awards since its opening, so it is totally worth a visit!
Our visit to Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose
Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose is close to our home, so we can visit it often. I like it because it has a lot of hands-on activities for kids. The museum has different spaces for young kids and this is great because they have the chance to explore things that are appropriate for their age.
The museum has over 28,000 sq. ft. and 150 interactive exhibits that kids can explore. Each time we went there we spent half a day exploring the museum. There are a lot of things to do, including classes for kids. Bogdan’s favorite parts of the museum are the fire engine and the ambulance. They are both real size cars and the kids can enter them and play. Young boys certainly enjoy this! 🙂
What we liked most at the museum
– The whole atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly.
– The Art Loft is a great place where kids can create their own artworks or play with interesting materials.
– The Wonder Cabinet is a special section of the museum designed for children ages 0-4. It contains a space for art activities, one for storytime and also a Crawl Space for infants.
– The “Thomas & Friends” exhibition is Bogdan’s favorite because it has a lot of trains and a big train track.
– The Waterway is an interesting part of the museum where children can play with water and it’s really fun!
– The restaurant also has healthy meal choices for kids.
What could be better
– The first time when we went to the museum there were a lot of school groups inside. Everything was a little bit loud and crowded, so we preferred to go to the Wonder Cabinet for some silence. So I think that planning the visit in the afternoon during school days could be a better idea!
How child-friendly is this place?
The Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose is specially designed for kids and this makes it very welcoming for families. Everything is very child-friendly. A visit to this museum is suitable for children from babies to youths. There are things to do for every age group.
Useful information about Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose
If you plan to visit the museum, here is some useful information:
– The museum is open from Tuesday to Saturday between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. On Sunday the museum is open between 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
– The tickets cost $13 per person (adult or child).
– Parking is possible in one of the public and privately-owned parking lots located near the museum. We paid $7 for parking.
The museum can get crowded when there are a lot of school groups inside or during the weekends. In my opinion, the best time to visit it would be in the afternoon during weekdays.
If you live near the museum and you plan to visit it often, you can purchase a membership. This way you will be able to go there regularly and you’ll also have other benefits like an hour only for members on Sunday morning.
If you have a young child, it’s better to start exploring the museum with the Wonder Cabinet. It is situated on the first floor and is a space designed for children under 4.
If you plan to visit the museum, I wish you a nice time exploring it! If you have any other recommendations of nice places to visit in Bay Area, I would be glad to find them out!