This post may contain affiliate links. Read my whole disclosure here.
Inside: Discover an awesome list of art supplies for kids that will bring hours of creative fun!
In the last years we tried many art supplies in our home. My son likes to draw and paint, and I want to encourage him to develop his creativity!
In the last year, we spend a lot of time at home because of the pandemic, and art activities became part of almost every day!
My son started started attending online art classes, and they helped him learn new things and discover even more art materials!
This is why I decided to put together a list of the best art supplies for kids that we discovered over the years!
If you are looking for new art materials for your children, I hope you’ll find here the inspiration you need to choose some awesome supplies for them!
Also, if you want to prepare a creative space in your home, creating an art cart for kids can be a great way to keep all the supplies organized and encourage your kids to use them! You can check out our art cart here.
We rotate the art supplies on our art cart regularly, depending on my son’s interests and the art activities he wants to try.
For example, here are some art supplies we included in our cart when we did a lot of painting projects:
And here is a little kit I created for my son to make his creative time more fun:
Below you can find a complete list of our favorite art supplies. We used them over and over again in our home, and I hope your kids will enjoy them as well!
Best art supplies for kids: Drawing supplies
Basic drawing supplies:
- washable markers
- crayons (and twistable crayons)
- sharpie markers (great for older kids)
More drawing supplies for kids:
- (1) World Colors Ecopencils – a set that includes both traditional colored pencils and skin tone pencils that are great for creating portraits
- (3) Beeswax Crayons (I like these triangular-shaped crayons because they help young kids learn the proper grip and they also don’t roll of the desk)
- (4) Blendable Oil Pastels – great for many art projects because they are soft and easy to use
- (5) Metallic Gel Crayon Set – a fun set of gel crayons that are great for drawing on large surfaces
- (6) Do A Dot Art! Markers – perfect for young kids (we used them in many learning activities when my son was younger)
Best art supplies for kids: Painting supplies
- (1) Connector Paint Box Watercolor Set – a great set that includes 24 watercolors, a tube of white paint for color mixing, and a paint brush
- (2) Opaque Watercolor Paint Set (we used this set a lot)
- (3) Spill Proof Paint Cups – the perfect paint cups for young kids (I also like that you can pour paint in the cups and keep it fresh until the next time you need it)
- (4) Paint sticks (they dry in 90 seconds, and kids can use them without any cups, brushes, or water)
- (5) Acrylic Paint – a set of wonderful colors that are great for older kids.
- (6) Crayola Washable Kids Paint – perfect for teaching kids how to mix colors.
Best art supplies for kids: Other supplies
These supplies make creative time even more fun for the kids!
- (1) Stickers (we often use them as art prompts)
- (2) Colored tissue paper squares – great for collage art and suncatchers
- (3) Glitter glue (suitable for ages 6 and up – adult supervision suggested)
- (4) Eye Stickers – a fun alternative to googly eyes
- (5) Washi tape – a colorful set that can be used in many creative projects
- (6) Stamps (we like the Melissa & Doug stamp sets the most)
More fun supplies for art projects: glitter, yarn, shape paper punches, chalk markers, glitter paper, craft gems.
Best art supplies for kids: Art paper (and an awesome art easel)
- (1) Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel – a great resource to add to a creative space for young kids (it includes a chalkboard, a dry-erase board, and a paper roller)
- (2) Sketchbooks – great for big kids who like to draw
- (4) Drawing pad (I like the idea of offering kids a drawing pad instead of having a lot of drawings all around the house)
- (5) Paint pad (watercolor paper is great for painting projects).
I’m looking forward to discovering more awesome art materials with my kids, and I’ll make sure to update this list with our favorite ones!
In the meantime, if there are any art supplies you would recommend, I would be glad to find out what your favorites are!
Have fun creating with your little ones!