Welcome to day 10 of the Family Lockdown Fun challenge!
One easy and fun family activity
Today’s idea: Create a Play Jar for your kids
Create a Play Jar with activity ideas
This is the last day of the challenge, so I want to share with you an easy idea that will help you keep kids entertained while stuck at home.
A Play Jar is a jar full of activity ideas that kids can try anytime they’re bored and need some inspiration to find fun things to do at home.
Here is how to do create it:
- Invite the whole family to participate in creating the Play Jar. Everybody will come up with ideas to include in the jar. You will also find ideas in the printable file at the bottom of the page.
- Write each activity idea on a piece of paper and add it in the jar.
- Use two color-coded categories for the activities: one color for activities that kids can do on their own (or with adult supervision for young kids) and one color for activities that require someone else’s involvement (e.g, games that need at least 2 players, so a parent or sibling needs to be involved as well). You can either use pieces of paper of different colors or add a colored dot on each piece of paper so you can easily see what kind of activity it contains.
- Fill the jar with activity ideas, add a label on it, and place it in the living room. Anytime you’ll need an idea to either keep your kids busy or do something fun with them, all you’ll need to do is pick an activity from the jar!
- After filling in the jar, test it out by picking one activity to do with the kids. Then, invite them to pick out an idea from the jar and put it into practice on their own (with your supervision if needed). This is the perfect way to get started with using the jar!
⭐ Bonus: You can download activity ideas for your Play Jar at the bottom of the page.
One resource that will make learning more fun
Today’s resource: Playful learning activities
Content and resources you can use with your family to offer comfort and spark playful learning activities
Sesame Street offers tons of free books, videos, activity pages, coloring pages, and games.
One bonus idea for kids to try today
Today’s bonus idea: Party at home (+ Cirque du Soleil)
Invite the kids to prepare a party
This activity can keep kids busy for hours, and it’s a great way to add some fun to your day!
To celebrate the end of the challenge, here is a very fun activity to try with the kids: Invite your kids to prepare a party at home.
- For young kids: Invite them to prepare a “birthday” party for a stuffed animal. They can create decorations, “invite” other stuffed animals, make party hats, and even create a pretend cake.
- For older kids: Invite them to prepare a celebration at home. It can be a tea party, a dance party, a themed party, or anything else they want. They can prepare decorations, playlists, snacks, and games for the party.
You can even invite family and friends to your party using Zoom to make it more fun for the kids.
⭐ An alternative idea for older kids: If you want to watch a great show with your kids, check out the Cirque du Soleil 60-minute specials.
During the quarantine, they release a new show online every week, so it’s a nice opportunity to watch their performances from home. Here are the shows that are available until now: week 1, week 2, week 3, week 4.
🎁 Download: Printable Play Jar ideas
If you need some inspiration for your Play Jar, click on the image below to download the printable ideas. (they are color-coded: purple for individual activities and blue for activities that require someone else’s involvement)
Enjoy the ideas and have a wonderful day!