Welcome to day 9 of the Family Lockdown Fun challenge!
One easy and fun family activity
Today’s idea: A fun idea for family night
Have a “how-to” family night
This is an easy and fun idea you can easily put into practice on your next family night!
Here is how it works:
- Invite the whole family to a “how to” night. Each family member will need to teach the others how to do something new (e.g., how to make pizza dough, how to build a paper boat, how to do certain dance moves, etc).
- Ask everyone to prepare in advance everything they’ll need for their “teaching moment” and choose an activity that can be done in less than 20 minutes.
- Take turns sharing your “tutorials” and have fun learning new things together! You would be surprised how creative kids can be when they have the chance to teach you something.
⭐ Another idea for your next family night: Have a game tournament.
- Invite each family member to select one game to play together. The game needs to take less than 30 minutes, and it can be a card game, a board game, or even a video game.
- The winner of each round gets one point. The “champion of the night” will be the player who got the most points throughout the night.
One resource that will make learning more fun
Today’s resource: Curated activities for curious learners
National Geographic Kids
Activities that have been curated for educators, parents, and caregivers to implement with K–12 learners.
Bonus idea: TIME for Kids is offering their digital library for free for the rest of the school year. You can access it here.
One bonus idea for kids to try today
Today’s bonus idea: Pretend play at home (+Harry Potter)
Invite the kids to create a pretend restaurant
This activity can keep kids busy for hours, and it puts their creativity to work.
Invite the kids to create their own “restaurant” or “coffee shop” using materials they already have.
Young kids can create pretend food out of playdough or recycled materials, a menu with drawings, and decorations for their restaurant.
Older kids can create a logo for the restaurant / coffee shop, a creative menu, decorations, and even invite the family to a real meal / snack in their “restaurant”.
⭐ An alternative idea for older kids: If your children are Harry Potter fans, they will love to discover Harry Potter At Home hub, a free online collection of child-friendly activities, videos, and articles that will bring the magic of the wizarding world into your home.
🎁 Download: Printable family night poster
If you want to get more inspiration for planning fun family nights at home, click on the image below to download it and display it in your home.
(This poster was also included in the first day of the challenge, but I added it again here in case you missed it.)
Enjoy the ideas and have a wonderful day!