This post may contain affiliate links. Read my whole disclosure here.
Inside: Discover 15 of the best growth mindset books for kids that will inspire them to try new things, overcome challenges, and become more resilient and confident.
Have you ever wondered why some kids give up easily while others keep trying even when things get hard?
Why some kids are not afraid to try new things while others are afraid to step outside their comfort zone?
Why for some children is easier to deal with challenges while others struggle to overcome setbacks or failures?
There are many things that play a role in this, but research shows that the most important factor is the child’s mindset.
Stanford professor Dr. Carol Dweck has studied mindset in kids for years.
She noticed that children with a fixed mindset believe that they can either be smart or dumb and that they are either good or bad at specific activities. They are convinced that talent determines if someone will succeed and that they cannot influence this.
On the other hand, children with a growth mindset believe that they can build the abilities that they want to have. They are determined to work hard for what they want and are not easily defeated by failures or setbacks.
Kids with a growth mindset see mistakes as opportunities to learn and not as failures. They have positive thinking and are perseverant even when faced with difficult challenges.
There are many ways to help kids develop a growth mindset, but books are one of the most powerful tools we can use as parents.
Stories have a big impact on kids and can teach them important lessons. Reading growth mindset books for kids is a great way to start meaningful conversations with your children about this topic.
This is why I decided to put together a list of our favorite books about growth mindset that teach kids to be perseverant and confident, overcome challenges, and use failures as opportunities to get better.
These books are great for encouraging kids to not give up when things get hard, develop a growth mindset, and feel confident about learning new skills.
Growth mindset books for kids that will inspire them to try new things, and overcome challenges
- Your Fantastic Elastic Brain – one of the most powerful growth mindset books for kids that will teach them how the brain works and how it grows anytime they learn new things.
- The Dot – a story about a girl who thinks she can’t draw that will inspire kids to explore their creativity and become more confident.
- What Do You Do With a Chance? – a wonderful story that will teach kids that when they are open to trying new experiences, amazing thing can happen.
- The Little Engine That Could – an inspiring story about overcoming challenges that will teach kids to not give up when they want to accomplish something, even if they face obstacles along the way.
- The Magical Yet – a great book that will teach kids who get frustrated by what they can’t do to keep trying and overcome challenges.
- The Thing Lou Couldn’t Do – an empowering story about perseverance and facing fears and challenges.
- Ish – a lovely story that will encourage kids to get creative without worrying about getting things “right” all the time.
Growth mindset books for kids: Stories about the power of perseverance
- The Most Magnificent Thing – an inspiring story that will show kids that perseverance can help them accomplish what they want and transform their ideas into reality. (⭐)
- Giraffes Can’t Dance – a lovely book that will encourage kids to follow their dreams even if they face challenges along the way.
- She Persisted: 13 American Women Who Changed the World – a wonderful book sharing the stories of 13 American women who changed the world. (⭐)
- Flight School – a lovely story about a penguin who is determined to fly and doesn’t let anything stop him from following his dream.
- After the Fall (How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again) – an inspiring book that shares Humpty Dumpty’s journey to overcome his fears and find the courage to get back up after a fall.
Growth mindset books that will teach kids to see mistakes as opportunities to learn
- Beautiful Oops! – a wonderful book that will teach kids to see mistakes as opportunities and turn them into discoveries. (⭐)
- The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes – a growth mindset book that promotes self-esteem and helps perfectionist kids learn that mistakes are okay.
- Mistakes That Worked: The World’s Familiar Inventions and How They Came to Be – a book that shares the stories of mistakes that changed the world.
I hope you and your kids will enjoy reading these books together!
For more lovely books to read with your little ones, check out this list of 30+ wonderful books that will teach kids how to handle strong emotions.