This post may contain affiliate links. Read my whole disclosure here.
My son was standing in front of me with a big smile on his face. I could see the joy in his eyes as he was slowly putting each of the things in the little green box on the table.
The pieces of wrapping paper were still on the floor, as a reminder of the cute looking gift he had quickly unwrapped a few moments earlier.
He invited me to sit next to him. Inside the box, there were two projects for us to make together, and he wanted us to start right away.
As he was gathering the supplies for the first project, I asked him what he liked most about the gift. Without any hesitation, he looked at me and said: “I like it because we can do this together! I’ll have a lot of fun with you!”.
It wasn’t about how cool the gift was. It wasn’t about the colorful supplies, or the activity book, or the new toys he could build.
It was all about spending time together!
I smiled and gave him a big hug. His words stuck with me and have been the best inspiration for choosing gifts for him ever since.
Because the truth is that the best gift we can give to our children is our love and attention. And even when it comes to the material gifts we offer to our kids, adding a dose of connection makes them even more special and meaningful.
This time of the year, as you are searching for the best holiday gifts for your little ones, there are plenty of gift guides on the internet to inspire you. You can find awesome gifts that can keep kids busy for hours, educational gifts that encourage them to learn new things, cool toys with their favorite characters, and much more!
But I wanted to create a different list of ideas: a list where you can find gifts that you can enjoy with your kids, that promote family time and bring you closer to your little ones.
These gifts come with something really special: the chance to connect with your kids and make them feel happy and loved! 💙
1. The gift of storytime (all ages)
Reading with your kids is a wonderful way to build closeness and connection!
Bookroo is an award-winning book club for kids that sends new books to your home every month. Each book is beautifully wrapped as a gift and the stories are really nice!
We have many books from them in my son’s bookcase and they offered us plenty of special storytime moments to enjoy together!
🎁 How to offer this gift: Wrap the first box in a cute wrapping paper and add a note from you letting the child know that new books will arrive every month. As a bonus, you can add a little notebook to use for keeping a reading log of the books you read together and the ratings your child gives them.
⏰ Black Friday special offer: Use code BF2019 to save 25% off your first 3-, 6-, or 12-month subscription to any new club.
2. Enjoy nature together (all ages)
Spending time in nature with your child will not only help you connect, but it will also boost your mood and help you disconnect from the daily distractions.
To encourage kids to explore nature with you, prepare a gift that will make this more fun for them. Here are 3 great things to include:
- Backpack Explorer: On the Nature Trail: What Will You Find? – This guide is designed for kids ages 4 to 8, and it looks wonderful! It’s perfect for the whole family to enjoy together while exploring a park or going on a hike.
- Outdoor Nature Scavenger Hunt Card Game for Families – These cards are great for kids (3 years+), and going on a scavenger hunt with your kids will certainly be a lot of fun!
- If you want to make the gift even more attractive, you can also add a nature exploration kit like this one.
🎁 How to offer this gift: Add a note to the gift with an invitation to explore a big park (or any other place where you can enjoy nature together). You can use the gift to make nature walks a weekly habit, and keep a log of the best things you discovered every week.
3. Explore the world together (5+ years)
Imagine being able to explore the world with your child without leaving your home! The Atlas Crate is an awesome subscription box that invites kids to explore a new destination every month.
It’s the perfect gift for connecting with your child while teaching them about countries all around the world. Each box includes 2 projects to do with your child, plus collectible cards and stickers that you gather in a special keepsake book.
They recommend the Atlas Crate for kids between 6 and 11 years old, but we started when my son was 5 and he loved every single box! We explored countries like Japonia, Nigeria, Peru, Sweden, Mexico, Italy, India, Australia, France, Morocco, Brazil, China, Germany, Kenya, and Russia.
🎁 How to offer this gift: Wrap the first box in a cute wrapping paper and add a note from you letting the child know that a new box will arrive every month. The first box includes a world map where you can add all the stickers you receive every month to document your “journey” through every destination.
⏰ Black Friday special offer: New subscriptions start at $7.95 for the first month. Get all the details here.
4. Encourage meaningful conversations (4+ years)
One of the most powerful ways to connect with kids is by encouraging them to open up to us. But sometimes getting kids to talk about what is on their mind is not easy.
The best idea that I discovered for building trust and connection every day is keeping a journal together.
A journal can help you discover more of your child’s thoughts and feelings, and it shows them that you are open to listening to them anytime they want to share something with you.
A lovely way to start this habit is by offering your child a special journal as a gift. They will love to have a special journal just for them, and you’ll have the chance to start meaningful conversations with them anytime you fill in the journal together.
Here are some great journals to try with your kids:
- Q&A a Day for Kids: A Three-Year Journal (it’s wonderful to see how the answers change from year to year)
- Between Mom and Me: Mother Son Journal (for boys)
- Love, Mom and Me: Mother Daughter Journal (for girls)
- Just Between Us: Mother & Daughter: A No-Stress, No-Rules Journal (also for girls)
- Big Life Journal (the best journal for promoting a growth mindset for kids ages 7-10)
- The 3 Minute Gratitude Journal for Kids (a wonderful way to teach kids to practice gratitude evert day).
🎁 How to offer this gift: Add a nice note next to the journal to let your child know how much you would love to share a journal and fill it in every evening before going to sleep. (You can set a daily alarm on your phome to remind you about this every evening until you turn it into a habit).
5. Gifts for happy family moments (3+ years)
An easy way to offer kids gifts they will love and promote family togetherness at the same time is to transform “classic” gifts into opportunities to spend quality time as a family.
Here are some gift ideas that will help you do this:
- Offer your child a board game (or a set of card games) the whole family will really enjoy.
Playing a game that is boring for you can make family game night feel more like another thing on your “to do” list instead of a lovely time to enjoy with your little ones. Instead, choosing a game the whole family loves will make game nights a lot more fun!
- Make puzzle time a family activity.
Instead of offering your child a puzzle they can do on their own, choose a big puzzle (500 or even 1000 pieces) and transform this into a family activity. (We are just working on this one.)
- Build LEGOs together.
LEGOs are fun for both kids and adults, so you can easily use them for family activities like fun challenges, or a building contest. LEGO Classic sets are perfect for this!
🎁 How to offer this gift: Add a special invitation next to the gift and announce your child about the next family game night, puzzle night, or LEGO building night. If you want to schedule more family nights, create a family fun calendar and offer it to your kids.
6. Science, crafts, and gardening kits to enjoy together
Another way to offer your kids a gift that will help you connect with them is to choose a special activity kit to enjoy together.
Depending on your child’s age and interests (and what you like as well), here are some ideas to inspire you:
- STEM boxes from Kiwi Co (awesome kits that include all the supplies you’ll need for the projects) <<< our favorites 💙
- Green Kid Crafts boxes (hands-on science and art kits for kids all ages from toddlers to tweens)
- Magic Science for Wizards Only Kit (a science kit that includes supplies for the 9 great experiments – ages 6 and up)
- My First Mind Blowing Science Kit (another great science kit – ages 6 and up)
- Light-up Terrarium Kit for Kids (a miniature garden to create with your kids).
⏰ Black Friday special offer: Many of the Kiwi Co boxes have special prices this weekend (up to 50% off). Check them out here.
Also, you can get 40% off all Green Kid Crafts boxes using code BFGET40. You can find more details here.
7. The gift of more happy moments together
This idea is the easiest and it’s one of my favorites because it brings so much joy and connection: create a coupon book filled with nice things to do together! 💙
Being intentional about creating happy moments with your kids is the best way to make them feel loved!
For me, creating a coupon book for my son was a perfect opportunity to spend more quality time together. He loved using the coupons and we had a lot of fun putting all the ideas into practice!
🎁 How to prepare this gift:
- download the printable coupons
- select the ideas that you like the most (or use all the coupons)
- print the coupons create the coupon book (in just 10 minutes)
- pack it in a nice box or using a cute wrapping paper
- offer it to your child and enjoy the ideas together!
⏰ Black Friday special offer: Use code FAMILY to get 30% off. You can download the printable coupon book here.
I hope these ideas will inspire you in finding the best gift for your kids!
And most of all, I hope that these gifts will bring your family closer, add more joy to your home, and make your kids feel loved!
📌 Want to remember these ideas? Save them to your favorite Pinterest board!