This post may contain affiliate links. Read my whole disclosure here.
At the beginning of the year, I wrote down the goals that I want to achieve this year. I wanted to have them at hand because this makes me more accountable and helps me be on track. Another way of keeping me accountable was to promise myself that I will review my goals at the middle of the year. So today it’s time to write my mid-year review to check my progress. And I will use this opportunity to share here what helps me achieve my goals.
This review allows me to see my accomplishments but also the areas on which I need to focus more. So, I will go through each and every one of my goals and I will write here an update about it. I feel that I’ve learned a lot of important lessons during this half of year. I only hope that these lessons will help me be more intentional with achieving all of my goals until the end of the year.
Before I start going through my list of goals, I want to share with you the things that help me achieve my goals, no matter if they are short-term goals or more important ones. Maybe these tips will help you too in achieving more of your goals.
– Planning: Sometimes it may seem a waste of time to write down the goals and make a plan. But this could make a huge difference! It’s really easy to forget about our goals and get caught in daily tasks! A plan is great for keeping us focused on what matters most.
– Prioritizing: Once you have a plan, make sure that you prioritize the things that are most important for you! This sometimes means saying “no” to other people’s proposals or giving up some things that only add unnecessary tasks to our life. It is hard at first, but it is totally worthwhile!
– Being effective: I have learned a lot about productivity and effectiveness during college but I never truly implemented them in my personal life. This changed when I became a mom and my free time got very limited. Now I know that being focused and effective is essential for getting things done.
– Eliminating the procrastination: Are you aware how many hours do we spend on Facebook every day? I was surprised to discover how much time of my day I invest in social media. And the truth is that Facebook rarely helps me accomplish my goals. So I began a process of minimizing the procrastination. I am still at the beginning of this process but I already see the differences.
– Being organized: This is something that is incredibly important! It may seem that we accomplish a lot even without being very organized. And this true! But we can accomplish a lot more if we take the time to organize our life. For me, becoming more organized really changed my life! (you can find more about this below, at point 11 on the list)
A really helpful resource
When it comes to learning how to manage my time in the best possible way, I recently discovered a 5-day course that is a great resource for every mom who struggles with time management, planning, and implementing plans.
The course is created by Kim Anderson, author of the Thrifty Little Mom blog. She gives a lot of practical solutions that can be rapidly implemented. What I like most about this course is that it helped me feel in control about my schedule and this matters a lot! If you feel that you need help for planning and organizing your everyday tasks, you can find Kim’s course here: 5 Day Complete Life Management Course and Workbook.
Coming back to my goals for this year, here is my list and what I have accomplished (or not) until now.
1. To spend quality couple time with my husband
I can say that we spend more quality time together than we did before. But there is still room for improvement. What helped me improve our relationship was to be more intentional with spending time together after Bogdan falls asleep. Even if this only means watching a movie together. Or eating ice-cream in bed. 🙂
Here are some ideas that can be easily implemented even without a babysitter: 14 lovely at-home date night ideas for parents.
2. To learn how to have more patience with my little boy and how to avoid getting angry too fast
This is a continuous “work in progress” task for me. I tend to get angry easily so I need to be aware of this all the time and work on managing my own emotions. We had a difficult time at the beginning of the year but now things have settled down.
I’ve discovered some useful tips that help me be a calm mom and I use them every day. This doesn’t mean that I don’t do mistakes… I still have days when remaining calm and gentle doesn’t come easy at all. But I feel grateful for all the things that I’ve learned. And I am optimistic about this! I feel that keeping my emotions in control becomes easier in time. By the end of the year, I really hope that being calm will become a habit that will not need so much effort from my side.
If you struggle with the same issue, I wrote more about the lessons that I’ve learned here: What helped me become a calmer mom and be gentle with my child even if I’m angry.
photo credit: Rawpixel / shutterstock.com
3. To accomplish a parenting challenge throughout the year
This is something that I’m really proud of! I’ve followed my plan for the parenting challenge and I’m really glad about it! Starting this challenge was a great idea because it allows me to be more intentional when it comes to spending quality time with my son! We do a lot of activities together and he learned many new things!
If you also want to build a stronger relationship with your child, I totally recommend you to try a parenting challenge! I would be glad if you would join my parenting challenge. I share our plans and ideas every month and I hope that they will inspire you too!
4. To plan more family activities during the week
This is something I haven’t really focused on. Usually, during the evening Bogdan spends time with his dad to allow me to work. So we normally plan the family activities during the weekend.
I feel that I need to change this and plan more activities together during the week so I hope to be able to do this by the end of the year.
5. To travel as much as I can
We do travel a lot but I always want more! 🙂 The truth is that traveling is my greatest passion so I could travel all the time!
At the beginning of the year, I made a travel wish list for this year. It contains 9 places that I really want to visit this year. Until now, we visited 5 of them. But the 4 remaining places are the ones that are farthest away from us. Also, I changed my mind about visiting Yellowstone National Park this year, so we have one place less on the list.
We also traveled to many nice places that weren’t on the list. And I will hope that will continue to do so!
6. To read at least 12 books
I’ve read parenting books but also books about time management, social media, and blogging. So I can say that this goal is very much on track!
7. To create a self-care ritual and to follow it
This is a big fail for me! I haven’t created a ritual and I honestly don’t think that I will focus on this in the next months. Still, I plan to take a 40-day challenge for making exercises and quitting sugar. I hope to be able to put it into practice soon!
8. To face 3 of my fears
I have faced one of my fears this year. There are still two more left!
9. To participate at some important events in America
We started to participate in sporting events and we enjoy it a lot! In September, I will participate at my first blogging conference here, in America.
We plan to go to some important basketball games in the next months. Also, we want to go to a baseball game because we never watched one in a stadium.
10. To assess my professional strengths and set a career path for the next years
This is a very tricky goal. And it was more difficult to achieve it than I have imagined! My dream would be to have a blogging career in the next year. I am really passionate about this and I think that it would be wonderful to be able to do want I like most and earn an income from it!
Still, at this point, I don’t know if this dream is realistic. So until the end of this year, I plan to focus on blogging and see if I could transform it in a job. I love writing on my blog and the blogging course that I take now is really motivating me to follow my dream! I am really curious what I will write at the end of the year about this goal! 🙂
11. To become more organized
This is something that I did will in the past months. And I am really happy about it! Becoming more organized allows me to accomplish more things and to use my time in a wiser way.
Some of the changes that helped me were to create a schedule for my days and a meal plan. Now I work on creating a schedule for my blog and I hope to accomplish this before the end of the year.
I wrote more on what I’ve learned about becoming more organized here:
12. To learn more about blogging and social media
It was really challenging to build a blog from scratch in a completely new country. And it still is!
But I’ve learned a lot about blogging and social media this year. If you are curious to discover my blogging journey, you can read about it here: My blogging journey: Six amazing months. I am happy with all that I’ve learned in such a short time. And I plan to learn even more things in the next months.
Here are the other goals on my list with a short update for each one.
– to accomplish an Instagram challenge – Failed
– to optimize my social media accounts and to use them in a smarter way (eliminating the useless time I spend “scrolling” the newsfeed) – Partially accomplished, but I still have a lot more work to do
– to write constantly on the blog – Accomplished (I write at least two times a week and I hope to keep this pace)
– to write about all my travel experiences – I haven’t managed to write about all our trips but I hope to be able to catch up in the next months
– to drink more water every day (this is a real issue for me right now and it’s something I really need to change) – Failed (and I’m really sad about it)
– to take some courses about management, blogging, and social media – Accomplished.
Now, that I look back at all these things, I feel more motivated to accomplish all of them until the end of the year! I don’t know if I will be able to do this but I will certainly try!
If you wrote a lost of goals for this year, I hope that your mid-year review looks promising and motivating! And if this is not the case, the good thing is that you still have 6 more months to chase your dreams!
I wish you the best of luck in accomplishing all your goals! And if you want to share with me some of your accomplishments or struggles, I would be glad to hear from you!
photo credit preview photo: Jaruwan Jaiyangyuen / shutterstock.com | photo credit Pinterest photo: Hautechocolate