This post may contain affiliate links. Read my whole disclosure here.
At the beginning of every month, I prepare a little book display filled with books for us to explore together during the month.
This simple tradition made our daily reading time more fun, and we really enjoy discovering new books every month.
Other times, I combine different themes inspired by that month and prepare a set of books that cover more topics. For example, in February, we focused on both books about love (inspired by Valentine’s Day) and books for celebrating Black History Month.
For March, I chose a combination of themes as well, but I also added 4 books that are not related to these themes (because my oldest son came up with this suggestion last month).
25 lovely books to read with your kids this March
If you are looking for some lovely books to enjoy with your kids in March, I gathered here a list of our favorite books to read this month.
They include the themes we plan to focus on this month, but also other themes we enjoyed in previous years.
Theme: Children’s books about spring and nature
Here are some of our favorite books that celebrate spring and encourage kids to explore nature:
- 1 – Bear Wants More
- 2 – Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms (a lovely story about a cute fox who discovers spring)
- 5 – Tree: A Peek-Through Picture Book (a lovely book for teaching young kids about trees in a playful way)
- 6 – The Magic and Mystery of Trees (a wonderful book about trees for older kids)
- 8 – The Big Book of Bugs (a great book for encouraging kids to explore nature)
⭐ Bonus recommendation: Backpack Explorer: On the Nature Trail: What Will You Find? (a great take-along field guide for children ages 4 to 8)
Theme: Children’s books about rainbows and St. Patrick’s Day
St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated on March 17, so we also included some books about this holiday and rainbows in this month’s list.
- 1 – The World Made a Rainbow (a wonderful story that is a perfect read during the pandemic)
- 2 – The Rainbow Fish (a lovely story with beautiful illustrations)
- 4 – Pete the Cat: The Great Leprechaun Chase (a great book for kids who love Pete the Cat)
Theme: Dr. Seuss books
Dr. Seuss’ birthday is on March 2nd. Here are some of our favorite Dr. Seuss books:
- 1 – The Lorax
- 3 – Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (part of Cat in the Hat’s Learning Library)
Theme: Children’s books about Easter
Here are 4 lovely Easter books for kids:
- Llama Llama Easter Egg (a great Easter book for toddlers)
- Duck & Goose, Here Comes the Easter Bunny! (a fun springtime adventure with Duck and Goose)
- It’s Not Easy Being a Bunny (a funny story about a bunny who doesn’t want to be a bunny anymore)
4 more books to read with your kids this month
This month we also added on our list a few books that are not related to the any of the themes above. This was my son’s idea, because he said it will bring more fun to our story time.
Here are the picture books I selected:
The theme included in our March family time calendar is kindness, so this book was a wonderful addition to our book list.
- 2 – Only One You
This book fits great in our rainbow theme because it is very colorful, and I really like the message of the story and the illustrations.
My son loves these stories, so I decided to also include them in this month’s set of books so we can use them as inspiration for more activities.
I also added 2 chapter books to our special set of books for March, and we read those together as well.
I hope that you enjoyed the ideas on this list and that they will inspire you to choose some lovely books to enjoy with your kids this month!
More great books for kids:
- 15 growth mindset books for kids that will inspire them to be more confident, resilient, and perseverant